The mausoleum at Oakwood Cemetery turns 100 years old this year.
On Sunday, Sept. 14, Bob Lane and Jim Roth present an educational program about the mausoleum. The Saline Area Historical Society program occurs in Oakwood Cemetery at 2 p.m.
A complete history of the mausoleum and information about those interred within. The program is free and public is invited.
The mausoleum was built in 1914-15, according to a state listing of historic sites. Here’s more information about the mausoleum.
The Oakwood Cemetery Mausoleum, a one-story vernacular fieldstone mausoleum with its terraced east and west facades and monitor roof articulated by small rectangular windows, sits in the Oakwood Cemetery. The pink, grey, and black fieldstones are joined with grey mortar. The building's roof is covered with red tiles, and stained glass and metal accents articulate the west facade, while metal doors, stained glass and the inscription "In Hope" decorate the east facade. The mausoleum holds enough space for 88-100 burials.
The Oakwood Cemetery Mausoleum was built so that the city of Saline would have "a sanitary and modern place of burial, for 80 to 100 people, a beautiful little chapel which can be used for funerals, not only for compartment owners in the mausoleum, but for other funerals in stormy or inclement weather." (Feb. 28, 1914, Village Council minutes). The building's dual purpose as a chapel and a crypt accounts for its somewhat large size.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.