The Saline Celtic Festival kicks off Friday with Pub Night, 5 p.m. to midnight, at Mill Pond Park. The gates open at 5 p.m., and admission is $5.
Pub revelers can enjoy a huge selection of Michigan craft beers and an assortment of food, while listening to music from Raven Song at 6 p.m., Celtic Jam at 6:30 p.m., The Waxies at 8 p.m., and Stone Clover rounding out the night from 10 to 11:30 p.m.
The Detroit Wolfetones amateur Gaelic football club Youth League will play a scrimmage at 6 p.m., before the adult team takes to the field at 7:30 p.m., in a classic Michigan versus Ohio throw down against the Columbus Naghten Street Irish Football Club.
The “Quest For Mystic Fire” laser show will be shown at dusk, a fun story about Merton of Mortontown and his quest for a wizard who can defeat the fierce pond monster; speaking of which, Millie the Mill Pond Monster and her two “children” will rise from the Saline River to roar and snort smoke at the crowds.
Jousting knights on horseback will hold skills competitions at 5:30 p.m., in preparation for their contests on Saturday; and visitors may get a sneak peek of other living history re-enactors, clans, textile experts and more.
Visitors can also enjoy a thrilling 300-foot zip line ride, at speeds of up to 21 mph., at a cost of $10/ride or $18/two riders. The ride is open from 5 to 11 p.m.
Pub Night is a preview to the day long Festival on Saturday, when the gates at Mill Pond Park will open at 8 a.m., with opening ceremonies at 11 a.m., and Celtic fun running all day until midnight. Tickets at the gate on Saturday are $15 for adults; $5 for ages 13-17; free for ages 12 and under, ages 65 and up, and active military.
- 5:00 pm Gates Open
- 5:00 – 11:00 pm Fly Wire Zip Line Open
- 5:30 pm Jousting: Skills Competition
- 6:00 pm Raven Song, Red Dragon
- 6:00 pm Gaelic Football, Detroit Wolfetones Youth League Scrimmage
- 6:00 pm Ceili Dance Workshop, Dublin
- 7:15 pm Irish Step Dance Workshop, Edinburgh
- 7:30 pm Gaelic Football, Detroit Wolfetones versus the Columbus Naghten Street Irish Football Club
- 7:30 pm English/Contra Dance Workshop, Dublin
- 8:00 pm The Waxies, Red Dragon
- 8:30 pm Celtic Jam Seisun Workshop, Glasgow
- 9:30 pm (or dusk) The Quest For Mystic Fire Laser Show
- 10:00 – 11:30 Stone Clover, Red Dragon
For complete information visit salineceltic.org.