With so many people carrying smart phones every where they go, the City of Saline is hoping conscientious residents will use their phones help the city looking sharp.
City staff is encouraging residents with smart phones to download the free SeeClickFix application and to begin reporting problems to the City of Saline.
“It will give us more eyes and ears to help us keep the community in the best possible shape,” City Manager Todd Campbell told city council Monday.
Here's how it works:
1) Download the app to your cell phone and register with a valid email address.
2) Choose Saline, Michigan as your location.
3) Click on the “Report” icon.
4) Upload a photo or video to help illustrate the issue.
5) Give your issue a title, or report it to the Saline Police Department, Parks and Recreation, Public Works, or Code Enforcement.
6) Choose what kind of problem you're reporting. The city provides some common occurrences, like broken equipment, vandalism, graffiti, or trash. But if your problem isn't listed, you can name your own.
7) Finally, add a location. If you give the app permission, it will use your phone's GPS to include your location. Or, if you've already gone home, you can punch it in manually.
8) Hit “submit” and watch the wheels of government spin into action.
Eight steps may seem involved, but it literally takes 5 minutes to download the app, register, and post a report.
When you report an issue, it will go to an administrator in one of the city's departments and they'll investigate and, hopefully, take care of the problem.
SeeClickFix also has the ability to put some democracy in action. For example, if your subdivision has a pothole that is ruining everyone's car, one person can report the problem on SeeClickFix, but then the neighbors can sign in and “upvote” the problem. A problem upvoted by 20 residents might get more attention than a problem voted by one resident. So when you download SeeClickFix, click on “issues” and see if there are any burning issues you want fixed. You can also sort the issues on a map view, so you can see problems are close to home.
SeeClickFix also gives you the power to report anonymously. So if your neighbor's weeds are our of control and you want something done about it, but you don't want your neighbor to hate you, you can tattle-tale anonymously.
On the other hand, if you've just been told by the city to chop down your weed trees and you're wondering which of your neighbors was the snitch, you can click “neighbors” and begin searching for Judas.
If you don't have a smartphone, you can participate by visiting www.seeclickfix.com/saline.
Or, if you just want a human being to handle your issue, call 429-4907, and hit “0” the second you hear the recorded voice prompt so you don't have to listen to all the menu items.