A pair of lambs and farming equipment were lost in a barn fire in Lodi Township May 11.
The Saline Area Fire Department was dispatched to the 6000 block of Ellsworth Road shortly after 9 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find a 50-by-80-foot barn fully engulfed in flames. Manchester and Scio Township tankers were called to the scene for water.
Saline Fire Chief Craig Hoeft estimated more than $100,000 in losses. The barn and everything in it, including tractors and agricultural equipment, were a loss. Two lambs also died in the fire.
Hoeft said he was fairly certain the cause of the fire was a clamped heat lamp near the lambs' pen.
The barn was about 100 yards away from any other buildings, so firefighters had little trouble preventing futher damage. The fire was knocked down quickly, Hoeft said.
Tran Longmoore is a veteran community journalist. He is founder and owner of TheSalinePost.com. He is co-publisher of The Saline Post weekly newspaper. Email him at [email protected] or call him at 734-272-6294.