Saline Fire Chief Craig Hoeft warned residents to be aware of dangerous conditions caused by drifting snow after the fire department responded to five crashes in a little more than an hour Thursday afternoon.
The crashes occurred between 2:22 p.m. and 3:29 p.m. Hoeft said three people were transported to area hospitals as a result of the crashes. Fortunately, none of the injuries were life-threatening.
Hoeft said winds up to 30 miles per hour are blowing snow from farm fields over the roads. That's proving dangerous on Michigan Avenue, between Clinton and Saline.
"Michigan has several spots where the snow is blowing over. People are driving along at 60 miles per hour and then hitting a patch of solid, packed-down ice," Hoeft said.
The Washtenaw County Road Commission has also warned about snow-covered roads.
It's been a busy day for Saline firefighters, who spent about two hours assisting several fire departments battle a blaze on the 8800 block of Schellenberger Road, in Manchester. Hoeft said the blaze began as a chimney fire and quickly spread because of the high winds. The home was gutted by the fire.
Here's a look at the Saline Area Fire Department firecalls since Wednesday afternoon:
- Wednesday, 5:24 p.m., rollover crash, Zeeb and Ellsworth Road.
- Wednesday, 6:15 p.m., crash, Ann Arbor Saline Road and Ellsworth.
- Wednesday, 6:42 p.m., medical, Saline Fire Station.
- Wednesday, 9:10 p.m., crash, 4500 block of Pleasant Lake Road.
- Thursday, 4:25 a.m., crash, Michigan and Willow Road.
- Thursday, 6:30 a.m., crash, 5000 block of Ann Arbor Saline Road.
- Thursday, 8:55 a.m., fire, 8800 block of Schellenberg Road.
- Thursday, 10:41 a.m., rollover crash, Michigan and Case Road.
- Thursday, 2:22 p.m. , crash, Platt and Bemis road,
- Thursday, 2:30 p.m., crash, Michigan and Roehm Road.
- Thursday, 2:51 p.m., two crashes, Michigan and West Willow Road.
- Thursday, 3:17 p.m., medical 400 block of Saline River Drive.
- Thursday, 3:29 p.m., crash, 2000 block of South Wagner Road.