Fire Displaces Mother and 3 Children in Lodi Township

 12/21/2016 - 22:23
This submitted photo shows flames atop the chimney at a home on Bellwether Drive in Lodi Township

A mother and her three children were displaced by a house fire in Lodi Township Wednesday.

The Saline Fire Department was called out to the 5900 block of Bellwether Drive in the Travis Pointe subdivision.

Saline Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said firefighters were dispatched to the home, close to Textile Road, around 5:30 p.m.

“It was a chimney fire that got into the walls. It probably took about 45 minutes to get it under control,” Hoeft said. “Unfortunately, because it got into the walls, there was a lot of overhaul to make sure we got it all.”

Hoeft said damage was considerable. Everyone escaped the home safely, Hoeft said.

Red Cross will provide assistance to the family.

Pittsfield Township firefighters were called to the scene. The home had a 35-foot high chimney and Pittsfield possesses a ladder truck.

It appears a bird’s next at the top of the chimney may have caused the fire, Hoeft said.

fire lodi dec 21.jpg

The National Fire Protection Association offers these heating safety tips.

Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February. Some simple steps can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.

 

Tran Longmoore
Tran Longmoore is owner of The Saline Post. Email him at tran@thesalinepost.com or call him at 734-272-6294

Follow the author on         or visit   Personal Blog

Tran Longmoore
Tran Longmoore is owner of The Saline Post. Email him at tran@thesalinepost.com or call him at 734-272-6294

Follow the author on         or visit   Personal Blog