Heat Lamp Causes Minor Fire at Lodi Township Home

Local News Needs Your Support

Donation Options

 12/12/2019 - 16:41

A heat lamp was the cause of a minor fire at a Lodi Township home Wednesday evening.

Around 5:10 p.m., Saline firefighters were dispatched to the 3500 block of Surrey Drive for a structure fire. By the time firefighters arrived, a resident of the home had poured a bucket of water on a small fire to knock it down, Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said.

The fire was caused by a heat lamp. A child in the house was cleaning the pen of a small animal and laid the heat lamp in wastebasket - causing the small fire. Residents evacuated the home. The resident then extinguished the fire.

The following information is from the National Fire Protection Association.

Heating equipment is a leading cause of fires in U.S. homes. Local fire departments responded to an estimated average of 52,050 fires involving heating equipment each year in 2012-2016. These fires resulted in annual losses of 490 civilian deaths, 1,400 civilian injuries, and $1 billion in direct property damage.  The homes include one- and two-family homes (including manufactured homes) and apartments (including townhouses and other multi-family dwellings). Space heaters are the type of heating equipment most often involved in home heating fires, figuring in two of every five of these fires and accounting for 86% of associated civilian deaths, 78% of civilian injuries, and 54% of direct property damage.

  • Heating equipment fires accounted for 15% of all reported home fires in 2012-2016 (second behind cooking) and 19% of home fire deaths.
  • The leading factor contributing to home heating fires (27%) was failure to clean, principally from solid-fueled heating equipment, primarily chimneys.
  • The leading factor contributing to ignition for home heating fire deaths (54%) was heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding.
  • Most home heating fire deaths (86%) involved stationary or portable space heaters.
  • Nearly half (48%) of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and February.
Tran Longmoore's picture
Tran Longmoore
Tran Longmoore is a veteran community journalist. He is founder and owner of TheSalinePost.com. He is co-publisher of The Saline Post weekly newspaper. Email him at [email protected] or call him at 734-272-6294.

Follow the author on         or visit   Personal Blog