Saline Firefighters Quickly Knock Down Early Morning Blaze

Local News Needs Your Support

Donation Options

 11/29/2019 - 15:19

 

Saline firefighters quickly knocked down an early morning fire in an attached garage Friday.

Around 3:30 a.m., the Saline Area Fire Department was dispatched to the 4300 block of Maple Road for a structure fire. A family living in the residence was awoken by a smoke detector. Smelling smoke, they safely evacuated the home, according to Lt. Brandon Sears.

Firefighters found smoke coming from the eaves of the attached garage.

Firefighters found a small fire in the garage.

“It was an easy knockdown with minimal damage,” Sears said. 

There were no injuries.

A vehicle parked near the garage suffered some damage.

The family was able to return to the home after the fire.

The minimal damage showed the importance of functioning smoke detectors.

“Timing was everything. The smoke detectors woke up the residents. They called 911. And we were able to get here quick and knock it down,” Sears said. “Another 10 minutes and the results may have been a lot worse.”

The cause of the fire was a malfunctioning ceramic kiln, Sears said.

The National Fire Protection Association says only about one-quarter of households actually have developed and practiced a fire-escape plan or have taken measures to prevent fires around their homes. Here are some ways to stay safe.

  • Repair or replace malfunctioning kitchen appliances promptly. Keep them clean and always use them according to manufacturer's instructions.
  • Do not leave a room while cooking. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that most kitchen fires, which can ignite in as little as one minute, start after someone left the room. ¥ Keep a fully charged and functioning fire extinguisher on the premises, preferably one on each floor of a home or business.
  • Do not overload power strips with plugs, and have a licensed electrician inspect and suggest updates to antiquated wiring systems.
  • Teach children about the dangers of playing with fire. Keep matches and lighters away from children.
  • Pull together all members of an office or household to come up with an effective evacuation plan. Walk through the building and inspect all possible escape routes. Mark two ways out of each room. If a window exit is recommended, have a functioning ladder that can provide safe egress.
  • Choose an outside meeting place that is far away from the residence or building, but close enough that it can be easily reached by all. ¥ Set up a buddy system so that certain members of the family or company will be responsible for helping elderly, young or disabled people exit the premises.
  • Practice identifying escape routes, and institute regular evacuation plans so that everyone can function quickly should a fire occur. Fires can spread quickly and easily claim lives. By addressing fire risks and implementing safety plans, people can save lives.  

 

Tran Longmoore's picture
Tran Longmoore
Tran Longmoore is a veteran community journalist. He is founder and owner of TheSalinePost.com. He is co-publisher of The Saline Post weekly newspaper. Email him at [email protected] or call him at 734-272-6294.

Follow the author on         or visit   Personal Blog