It’s starting to feel like winter. More of the same on Friday, Jan. 11, 2019. The forecast calls for a high of 28 and a chilling low of 12 at 4 a.m. We’re going to see mostly and partly cloudy skies.
Sunrise will be at 8:04 a.m. and sunset at 5:16 p.m.
Here are some of the events on tap for this weekend:
- Ballroom dance party at 6:30 p.m., Friday, at the Tri-County Sportsmen’s Club.
- Saline indoor farmers market, from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday at Liberty School.
- Knockerball Battle Royale at 2 p.m. Saturday. Knockerball is located in the plaza with Emagine Theatre.
- Auditions for Scrambled, the upcoming Saline Area Players production, take place at 2 p.m., Sunday, at the Fifth Corner (Willis Road and South Ann Arbor Street).
Here’s what’s happening in Saline Hornet sports Friday:
- The Saline girls basketball team visits SEC Red rival Bedford – always a big test, especially on the road.
- The Saline boys basketball team hosts Bedford – and it’s a measuring stick game. Tip off is 7 p.m.
Jan. 11 is National Milk Day.
National Milk Day commemorates when milk began being delivered in glass bottles in 1878. Milkmen would go door-to-door bringing milk orders, and many people had a metal milk box where the bottles would be placed and kept cool. Today milk is largely purchased at the supermarket and other retailers. It remains an important component of a healthy diet.
On this day in history, in 1938, Samuel Morse and Alfred Vail provided the first public demonstration of the telegraph. Insulin was used on humans for the first time to treat diabetes in 1922. In 1964, Surgeon General Luther Terry issued the first government warning that smoking may be hazardous.
Here’s a link to the Saline Reporter and a look at its front page from Jan. 11, 1989. By the way, Tarah Ann Bondy, first child of Greg and Jill, was deemed Saline’s first baby of the new year.
Here's a look at posts from social media on Jan. 10.
Check out the deals at The Resale Boutique this weekend.
Saline senior and football kicker James Turner has accepted an offer to be a preferred walk-on at Michigan. JT was money all year for Saline.
Saline competitive cheer started off 2019 by winning an SEC meet in Monroe.
NAVYA is one of several companies with local operations who will featured at the North American International Autos Show in Detroit.
Flag football registration is open.