The Foundation for Saline Area Schools announced the 2017 Hall of Fame Class at its spring reception Wednesday at Saline High School.
The foundation will induct the following people to the Hall of Fame:
- Mary Converse, who taught at Saline Area Schools for 47 years.
- Hal Morningstar, who taught special education for many years and continues to volunteer in the district.
- Carol Pirkola, who taught in early childhood education for many years.
- Cristela Scanlon, Wasthenaw District Court employee who for many years organized the mock trial lessons for Saline Middle School Students.
- Ellen Ewing, who served as Superintendent of Saline Area Schools for many years.
- Dr. Katherine Ramsland (Johnston), a 1971 graduate of SHS who is a professor of forensic psychiatry and who has written best-selling books.
- Mike Smith, who taught at Saline schools for years and was a legendary track and cross country coach.
- Becca Sweitzer, a graduate of Saline Area Schools who has gone to a great career in dance and choreography.
Smith, Morningstar, Pirkola and Scanlon were in attendance at Wednesday’s reception.
Converse said she was honored to join the Hall of Fame and proud to have spent her life in Saline Area Schools.
“I graduated from Saline High School in 1962, I went to Eastern Michigan. Four years later, I’m back here teaching. To be in the Hall of Fame and honored in the hallways of Saline High School forever is a dream,” Converse said.
Converse, who taught English, public speaking and debate, began her career at Saline High School when it was at Liberty School. She moved to the high school when it was build where the middle school is now. Then she moved to the current high school when it was build.
“Every day I walked in I could almost cry I was so happy to teach here,” Converse said.
The class will be inducted this fall. They will be introduced at halftime of the football game Sept. 15. The induction banquet is Sept. 16 at Saline High School.
Hall of Fame candidates are nominated in three categories: Distinguished Educator, Distinguished Alumni and Distinguished Service.
The class will be inducted this fall. They will be introduced at halftime of the football game Sept. 15. The induction banquet is Sept. 16. For more information visit www.supportfsas.org.
Below, the new inductees are joined with past inductees.