Saline entered Thursday’s regional final with Novi hoping to play a safe, conservative game that stifled their talented opponents.
Novi shot two big holes in Saline’s game plan by scoring two goals in the game’s opening minutes.
“They’re a talented team – probably the most well-rounded team we’ve faced all year. They scored that early goal and put us on our heels and when they scored again, that put us in a big hole,” Saline coach Dana Rosselot said.
Novi added two second half goals as Saline opened up trying to generate offense.
The game finished with tearful embraces as the Hornets mourned the end of another long, successful soccer season.
“There’s no shame in losing his game. They were just a better team. We battled hard. And when you look at we accomplished this year, and what this group of seniors accomplished, they should hold their heads high,” Restrick said.
Here are some of Saline’s accomplishments this year:
- Saline went 12-4-3.
- Saline was undefeated in the SEC Red (8-0-2)
- Saline did not give up a goal in SEC Red play (10 games)
- Saline won the district championship.
- Saline did not give up a goal during three district games.
- Saline made it to the final eight in Division 1.
Here are some of the accomplishments of this year’s senior class.
- SEC Red Champs, all four years.
- Undefeated in the SEC Red, all four years.
- 17 playoff victories vs 3 losses.
- 3 District championships.
- 2 regional championships.
- 3 triples to the final 8.
- 2 trips to the final 4.
- 1 state championship.
This year’s senior class was composed of Tate Robison, Emma Petrock, Annika Dahlmann, Genesis Pena, Audrey Morton, Natalie Wykowski, Sabrina Helmer, Morgan Jones, Bella Petrock, Sarah Brannan, Alyssa Williams and Annika Udrys.
It was the final game for head coach Dana Rosselot.