Saline came away from the MHSAA Division 1 swim and dive finals with a third-place trophy.
Led by Matt Lau, state champ in the breaststroke, and the state champion 200-yard freestyle relay team, Saline finished with 202 points. Birmingham Brother Rice won with 238 points and Ann Arbor Skyline was second with 212 points.
Lau, who was the fastest swimmer in the breaststroke during Friday’s preliminaries, was even faster Saturday. And he needed almost every last fraction of a second to win. He finished in 56.37 seconds -- .03 seconds faster than Troy’s Maxwell Chen. Friday, Chen swam the race in 56.71 seconds.
Lau, a junior, played a part in Saline’s other victory. Lau, Josh Willwerth, Greg Wenning and Daniel Keith won the 200-yard freestyle relay in 1:25.01. Brother Rice was second in 1:25.39. The relay team dropped more than a half second from Friday’s time.
Daniel Keith finished his Saline High School career by taking second in the 200-yard freestyle. He finished the race in 1:39.31, which was slower than Friday’s school record time of 1:37.87. Keith dropped time in the 100-yard freestyle (45.36) and finished third, .09 seconds behind state champion Henry Schutte of Farmington Hills Central.
Keith’s other main contribution came in the 400-yard freestyle, where he joined Greg Wenning, Josh Willwerth and Jared Ehrman on the second-place team. Saline finished in 3:05.46, more than 1.5 seconds faster than Friday’s time. Brother Rice won in 3:04.25.
Keith will continue competitive swimming with the Air Force Academy.
Saline began the day by placing fourth in the 200-yard medley relay. Ehrman, Lau, Robbie Amori and Willwerth finished in 1:33.88.
In the 200-yard individual medley, Ehrman was 12th in 1:55.25 and Davis Klein was 15th in 1:56.17.
Lau was 10th in the 50-yard freestyle, finishing in 21:55.
Matt Filsinger, a junior, was fifth in the 500-yard freestyle. He finished the race in 4:41.90.
Ehrman finished seventh in the 100-yard backstroke (51.94). Davis Klein was 12th in the 100-yard breaststroke (59.32).
Here are some other notes from the state meet:
- Keith set a new school record in the 200-yard freestyle on Friday, breaking Adam Whitener’s record.
- Keith earned All-American honors in the 200-yard freestyle.
- The 200-yard medley relay team of Ehrman, Lau, Amori and Willwerth earned All-American honors.
- The 400-yard freestyle relay team of Keith, Wenning, Willwerth and Ehrman earned All-American honors.
- Keith earned All-American consideration in the 100-yard freestyle.
- Lau earned All-American consideration in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- The 200-yard freestyle relay team of Lau, Willwerth, Wenning and Keith earned All-American consideration.
- All-state honors went to the 200 medley relay team of Ehrman, Lau, Amori and Willwerth; Keith in the 200 and 100 freestyle; Filsinger in the 500-freestyle; Ehrman in the 100 backstroke; Lau in the 100 breaststroke; Keith, Wenning, Willwerth and Ehrman in the 400-yard freestyle relay; and Lau, Willwerth, Wenning and Keith in the 200-yard freestyle relay.