United Way Issues $1,100 Grant to Saline Area Service

Local News Needs Your Support

Donation Options

 04/08/2017 - 12:02

United Way of Washtenaw County awarded Saline Area Social Service (SASS) a $1,100 grant to help purchase basic needs, such as food, clothing and toiletries, for the people they serve.  The mission of SASS is to help people who are struggling within the Saline Area School District by providing them the extra aid, tools and resources to help improve their lives. 

Poverty here?  Yes.  A study commissioned by United Way explored the extent to which individuals across Michigan could be characterized as ALICE – Asset Limited, Income Constrained and Employed.  The results of this study show in Saline, 5% of residents live in poverty and 30% of residents are considered ALICE for a total of 35% of residents who struggle to afford basic needs.

“United Way is dedicated to positive social change in our community through strategic investments that provide real solutions to real problems,” Pam Smith, CEO of United Way of Washtenaw County said. “We also recognize the need for immediate relief to people who are struggling to meet basic needs.  This is why we are proud to support Saline Area Social Service.”

About United Way of Washtenaw County

As part of our 96-year history, the United Way of Washtenaw County brings people, agencies and resources together to create a thriving community for everyone. Our focus areas of Health, Education and Financial Stability provide the building blocks to strengthen the community and create opportunities for individuals and families. Our virtual Volunteer Center is an easy, online way for people to connect with nonprofits in the community and our 2-1-1 helpline connects more than 8,000 people annually to critically needed services. To learn more, donate, or volunteer visit uwgive.org.

Saline Post Staff's picture
The Saline Post
Sign up for The Saline Post, start posting and reach thousands of Salinians each day. It's free and you can start at www.thesalinepost.com/user/register

Follow the author on         or visit   Personal Blog