The weekend is coming. That means it's the perfect time to donate to Saline Area Social Service.
Drop off donations of goods between 10 a.m. and noon, Friday and Saturday. Here's what's on the list of needs this week:
- Gluten-free items.
- Boxed side dishes (rice or potatoes)
- Canned tuna
- Canned chicken
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruit
- Canned stew, chili or spam
- Instant oatmeal
Sign-up for our latest volunteer opportunities here. If you have additional questions, contact Lynn Strach at 734-476-7831 or email [email protected]. Saline Area Service, which provides a food bank and many other services to Saline area residents, also needs monetary donations. CLICK HERE to donate.
For people needing assistance, visit http://salinesocialservice.com. Food distribution begins again Monday, from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. You can also visit from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Meanwhile, local businesses and individuals continue to provide fine examples in community service. Here's Saline Pharmacy delivering toothpaste shortly after the call went out.
Saline area resident Rick Richter's new business, Cross Country Mortgage, is in Ann Arbor, but he's still helping local businesses. He bought 16 sandwiches from the Saline Cheese Shop for officers of the Saline Police Department and Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office.
And one anonymous Saline couple has gone above and beyond, donating thousands of dollars to win-win ideas that benefit Saline business and people in need.
Here's a sampling of what they've done:
- Cookie kits from Benny's Bakery to SOS in Ypsilanti.
- Betsy Marl working with Jodi Hilberer of the Farmers Market and a Pittsfield Farmers Market operator to buy goods for Saline Area Social Service from Mark's Farm and Pick MI Farm. They'll do a second round of purchasing. The first round included beef, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, eggs, spinach and mixed greens.
- Scholarships for tutoring at Great Lakes Educational Service for students who had to quit because of a parent's job loss.
- Sandwiches for Saline Area Social Service from the Cheese Shop of Saline.
- Children activity kits from Rock, Paper, Scissors for kids served Ypsilanti SOS.
- Petfood from Pets-N-Things for the Michigan Humane Society Pet Pantry.
Do you have a win-win idea to help a local business while serving the needs of residents? Email [email protected].
There are also several GoFundMe pages you may wish to contribute to: