Officials from Saline Area Schools and Clark Construction are pleased with progress less than a month into construction being paid for by the bond proposal passed by voters in 2015.
Rex Clary, Director of Facilities for the school district, is encouraged by the progress workers are making. That wasn’t always the case last year, in year one of the bond project work.
“Where we are at today, I feel so much better than I did at this time, last year,” Clary told the Board of Education when it met at Saline City Hall Tuesday.
Clary’s comments came after a brief presentation by Mark Paulus, a senior project manager for Clark Construction.
“We’re right on schedule now,” Paulus said, answering a question from Trustee Dennis Valenti. “We update out schedule daily. We’re tracking everything and trying to find new ways to work more efficiently.”
Paulus said there were a couple of reasons why the work has gone well. The lack of rain has helped, he said. The other major reason is the aggressive start to the work.
“We’ve been bustling since day one. Students left school for the summer at noon on June 16. By 2 p.m. we had 50 people in the buildings moving things out of Saline Middle School and Liberty School,” Paulus said. “Since that first week we’ve been averaging about 150 people working per day.”
Clary added that reinforcement of late fees has been an important motivating factor.
Here are some of the highlights of Paulus’s presentation:
- Most of the work at Pleasant Ridge has been completed, including the installation of cameras.
- The new roof is done at Woodland Meadows. Cameras were installed.
- Rooftop HVAC units were installed on the roofs at Heritage and Woodland Meadows right away, allowing for work on the roofs early.
- Paving began at the parking lots at Saline High School, Liberty and Saline Middle School. Two of the lots have already been completed at Saline High School.
- Asbestos abatement at Liberty School should be completed this week.
- Underground plumbing, new HVAC equipment and new windows are going in at Liberty.
- The new media center construction is “going gangbusters” at Saline Middle School.
- New carpet is being installed in classrooms and the corridors at Saline Middle School.