Fire Destroys Garage, Belongings in Lodi Township

Local News Needs Your Support

Donation Options

 06/26/2018 - 10:44

Firefighters believe a lawnmower may have been the culprit in a fire that ravaged a two-story garage in Lodi Township Monday evening.

The Saline Area Fire Department was dispatched to the fire at approximately 6:35 p.m. The garage was located behind a home on Shelly Court, located of Weber Road, just west of Noble Road.

There were no injuries as a result of the blaze.

Saline Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said the homeowner had pulled a lawnmower into the garage only a few minutes before the fire.

"We're still talking with insurance investigators, but there's a good chance a lawnmower was the culprit. He'd just got done mowing and pulled the lawnmower into the garage and went into the house for dinner," Hoeft said.

Homeowners noticed the fire and called 9-1-1.

The Saline Area Fire Department, about to begin its weekly training seminar, arrived at the fire with a large crew.

"We got there fast but it was fully involved," Hoeft said. "They were adding to the garage so there were openings that normally aren't there, and that may have allowed the fire to spread quickly."

The homeowners lost classic cars, machinery, tools and more in the fire. Hoeft estimated damages at well over $100,000.

Because of the distance between the home and garage, the home was never in danger, Hoeft said. Nearby playground equipment was damaged.

"The fortunate thing is that nobody was hurt and it wasn't a home. At least he can rebuild," Hoeft said.

Tran Longmoore's picture
Tran Longmoore
Tran Longmoore is a veteran community journalist. He is founder and owner of He is co-publisher of The Saline Post weekly newspaper. Email him at [email protected] or call him at 734-272-6294.

Follow the author on         or visit   Personal Blog